Friday, August 31, 2012

The year of the dairy cow

It’s time for the Indiana State Fair!


 

It is truly one of my favorite times of the year.  I never went as a child; we only went to the local county fair.  I think the first time I went was when in high school, we competed in the Cheerleading competition.  Which we WON by the way…third year in a row.  WOOT! WOOT!
It’s nice that it’s so close to where we live.  Only about a 30 minute drive.

I have to admit that I think most of my excitement comes from knowing that I get to have an elephant ear.  I’ve gone to other fairs and such and they have their share of elephant ears and funnel cakes but I allow myself ONE a year and it is during the State Fair.  And don’t try to tempt me with a funnel cake.  If I’m going to splurge, I’m not going to waste the calories on that.  BLEH!  And the Elephant Ear must be from the Red Barn.  They have the best; so much sugary buttery goodness.   (I may have just salivated typing that.)  It’s actually our first stop when we get there.
 
And much to my excitement we were going to go twice this year.  Free passes in the paper on Monday, so I guess technically it does cost $2 and then half price admission coupons from the BMV the following week.  This meant that I could get an elephant ear each time.  I always split it with my Manz so it will be like getting to eat a whole one this year.

The theme of this year’s fair is The Year of the Dairy Cow.  Supposedly you could go milk a cow somewhere but we never found it.  We did go see a milking demonstration.  It was very informative.

 
Other than that we walk around, look at some of the craft items, cakes, and photos.  It’s one of the best places to people watch and can certainly make you feel better about your own lot in life.  A trip through the Amusement Ride area is a must.  That’s some goooood people watchin’ there.  And if there is someone interesting on the Free Stage we might stop there for a bit. 

And of course, I must stop and check out the baby animals!
 



 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment