Tuesday, May 10, 2016

(03-19-2016) No Luck Run Half Marathon




I participated in the inaugural No Luck Run half last year and had a pretty good time. This race is put on by Racemaker Productions and the Director (Lee) is a friend of mine. With a promise of a better medal than last year and the fact that the start is 10 minutes from my house, it is kind of a no-brainer to do. I registered on January 9th and with taxes and fees my final cost was $48.35. Looking back at my confirmation email, it appears that I had a discount code for $11 off. NICE!

This year's race was to benefit Stop Hunger Now. You can read more about them and what they do here:  http://www.stophungernow.org/  We were encouraged to stop by after packet pickup and join in the fun. It was very interesting to learn about this organization and awesome that so many people showed up to help us pack food.  
I was in charge of making a sample batch for people to try.


RACE MORNING: It would appear that I forgot to take my weather screen shot but it was overcast, a little chilly and a chance of rain. So other than some pre-race photos, I decided to leave my phone in the car. Plus since I'd run this course last year - or so I thought - I wouldn't need to take any photos of the course.


If a man is going to dress like a Leprechaun, I'm going to get a picture with him!
My beautiful - and fast - running friend Naia.
She was doing the 5K.
I guess I didn't pay attention to the website to notice that there was a change in the course. It was completely different from last year. But alas, I still didn't need my phone for pictures. It really was not a scenic course and visually boring. (Sorry Lee, if you are reading this.) I don't know why they course change and haven't asked. My guess is that it was easier to staff from a police standpoint and maybe with regard to shutting down streets and staffing intersections...but I don't think we really had that many more streets to cross last year.

It was not a good race for me. I started having some right calf cramp issues early on in the race and took A LOT of walking breaks. I was pretty much toast at the 9 mile marker from the pain.

The event company - RaceMaker Productions - is great in that you get free race photos!
I'm not 100% sure if I'll do this race next year.  Although it is SO close to my house, there is another half marathon that usually takes place the same day that I've never done and I need to get that one crossed off the list.
Post race photo with my cousin-in-law. 
Much better medal this year!


No comments:

Post a Comment