Thursday, April 3, 2014

March Review

April 3, 2014

My March running total was a little more than my February but maybe that was because I had more races on the calendar.  Back in January I set a goal to run 1,000 miles in 2014.  I guess for some reason I think that means I have to run 100 miles each month.  Obviously quick math tells you that would get me to 1200 miles which would be great but I also need to be smart and not get myself injured. 

2014 - thru 03 (March)

My husband and I did the GHS Half Marathon in Greenville, South Carolina on March 8th (you can read about it HERE) and I got a SIX MINUTE PR!  The crazy thing is that the week leading up to this race, I didn’t do ANY running.  But the weather was practically perfect and it was a net loss in elevation so that helped too.  I wish this race wasn’t so far away because I’d like to go back and do it again to see if it was just a fluke.

We stayed in South Carolina a few extra days so that my husband could do some genealogy searching (you can read about that HERE) It was nice to get away, have some fun and explore the area.  It might be a potential retirement community for us some day.

My next half marathon was the following weekend up in Chicago, the Get Luck Half Marathon (you can read about it HERE)  It was Part 2 in a series of 4 races that I’ve signed up for through Team Ortho.  I also did this race last year and even though it was colder last year, I think last year’s event was better.  Or maybe I just have RUN-nesia from it. The course was different and I’m just not impressed with Team Ortho as an event management organization.  However, I met a nice girl on the shuttle to the race and then made a new running friend on the bus ride home to Indy so all was not lost.

THEN…the following Sunday, I did the B1G Hoops Day 5K, which you can read about HERE.  HOLY COW, it was windy!!!  I was pleased that my legs weren’t too sore from the half the day before but we also took this event super easy.  I was running with a friend and then also started the race with an acquaintance who was doing her very first 5K.  CONRATS SB!

I also squeezed in a Virtual 5K (check that out HERE) that should have been done back in February but I was waiting until the medal arrived so that it would be “complete” when I was done.

…and for awhile that is all there was. 

But I kept looking at my race schedule.  I keep wondering how I can get to “Earth” level within Half Fanatics THIS year and then try to concentrate on conquering more states next year and not so many races.  That’s when I happened upon a race in Illinois called the Southern Illinois Spring Classic (read all about it HERE) and as soon as I got notification that it was added to the Half Fanatics calendar, I signed up.  Which was on the Tuesday BEFORE the race!  I don’t think I’ve ever signed up so late for a half amrathon.

Now I’m rethinking a few of the goals I set back in January and tweaking them.  Plus April is about to get all sorts of running crazy – for me at least. 

No comments:

Post a Comment