Saturday, March 22, 2014

B1G Hoops Day 5K

March 16, 2014

Logo

I wasn’t exactly sure how I would feel physically after doing the Get Lucky Half Marathon the day before (you can read that recap HERE) but this was a race where I wasn’t  “worried” about a finishing time.  I was running with my friend AW and she promised me that this was going to be a slow steady pace.  She will begin training for her first half marathon soon and hasn’t been able to do too much running because of her super busy schedule.

This race takes place on the final days of the Big Ten Men’s Tournament and was only $20 if you registered before race day.  The start time isn’t until 11:00AM so plenty of time to sleep in that morning!

My legs felt pretty good when I got out of bed.  My recovery following a half marathon has greatly improved since I began wearing compression socks and shorts immediately afterward.  But what I wasn’t feeling good about was the forecast – specifically the wind!

2014, 03-16 (1)

I needed to go to packet pickup THAT morning since I wasn’t in town on Friday when it was offered.  So I got down to Bankers Life Fieldhouse around 10:20AM, got my bib and dropped some items off at bag check since it was offered.  It all went very seamlessly and quickly.

2014, 03-16 (2)

I had to wait a little bit for AW because she was still in a meeting.  She’s a pretty big deal at the Big Ten Conference!  But then she met me up in the Entry Pavilion.

2014, 03-16 (3)I didn’t go to a Big Ten school but wore my Sycamore Pride instead.

We waited inside until the very last possible minute and then went out to start the race.

2014, 03-16 (12)

We were also striating the race with MA and SB.  SB had recently taken up running and this was her very first 5K!!!!

We also met Logan, the Basset Hound just after the start.  I certainly don’t associate that breed of dog with running but he got it done!

2014, 03-16 (14)

Silliness along the route:

2014, 03-16 (16)

AW hadn’t had her picture taken by the B1G on the circle so as we ran past, I tired to snap a few for her.

2014, 03-16 (18)2014, 03-16 (22)

Around mile 2, AW and I had gotten ahead of MA and SB.  It was nice to run and talk a little bit.  She asked me about my training, eating prior to a half, etc.  But man, running and talking is difficult!  I don’t know how some people do it during an entire half marathon.

After we finished, we grabbed a Gatorade and then waited for AM and SB. 

2014, 03-16 (23)2014, 03-16 (24)

So excited for SB on completing her first 5K.

2014, 03-16 (27)2014, 03-16 (29)

Afterwards it was back to work for these ladies; they had to get ready for the Championship Game.  And it was back home for me and hopefully a day of mostly doing nothing!

2014, 03-16 (31)003   Instagram picture

No comments:

Post a Comment