Wednesday, January 22, 2020

The Saddest Day in March

But with all of the fun that was had in the month of March, it also was full of heartache.   

Our oldest dog Wrigley started having some health issues in January. Then in February he developed Vestibular Disease - also know as Old Dog Disease - which is a disturbance in their balance. His little head was cocked to the side and he was wobbly. It looked like he'd had a stroke. It was very scary. We were so concerned that Daddy put a blanket in his fancy car and took him to the vet. The dogs ONLY get to ride in his car if there is an emergency.  
Eventually it mostly disappeared after a few days but then the poor guy fell while going outside and landed on the side where his shoulder was fractured. I've never heard a dog make that type of noise before. It sounded like he was screaming. It was awful and made me sick to my stomach. I seriously thought he was completely broken.
And then later we received the dreaded diagnosis: Cancer. He even eventually lost his appetite. He was always our "eater" and I don't think we had found a food that he didn't like. But suddenly he was turning his nose up at everything. We tried a lot of different things but nothing was helping. We'd get to a point where he would only eat tuna but that would only last a few days. Then it was scrambled eggs, then rotisserie  chicken, then shrimp, then canned food, etc.

Eventually we had to make the difficult decision to say goodbye.  This is the 3rd dog that my husband and I have had to help cross over the rainbow bridge and it never gets any easier. There is great comfort though in the fact that our amazing vet comes to our house to do it.
 
 
This was a precious gift from one of my coworkers

There will never be another Wriggle dog (and his Woobie). 
He was my shadow and my protector.

No comments:

Post a Comment