Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Start your engines!

So after getting home from the Muncie Mini Marathon, I took a shower, put on my compression socks (ProCompression...I Love You) and got horizontal in bed for a quick nap.   My husband was already gone; getting things ready to take to Lucas Oil Raceway Park for tonight's Dragstrip Dash 5K.  His bank is one of the sponsors for this event, which benefits Habitat for Humanity AND he was the creative force behind it.  Basically this whole thing was his idea.

He stopped by the house briefly, got a quick recap of the half and then was headed to L.O.R.   The event starts at 6pm and he said that I didn't need to get there super early.  Well imagine my surprise when I got a text asking me to get there ASAP because they need the truck.  UGH!  Luckily, I had already fed the dogs so I was able to leave the house within 15 minutes.  But of course the minute I get there and ask him where I should park so they have quick access to the truck, he lets me know that they now don't need it.  FIGURES.

Oh well, my friend SJP was there so we chatted about Muncie until it was time to start the race.
 


One fun thing about this race was that initially they separated men and women on opposite sides of the track so that they could award the fastest Man and fastest Women in the first quarter mile.  After that we merged together and completed the 5k.  I told SJP prior to taking off that she shouldn't feel the need to stay with me if she wanted to run faster.  I wasn't sure how this was going to go for me.  I mean after all, I did a half marathon that morning, drove an hour and a half home and really only "rested" for about 3 hours.

She stayed with me the entire time and we only walked at the halfway point, through the water station.

It was a fun race and I'm so glad that I did it.  Initially I had signed up for this before even knowing about the half marathon.  This was a good personal challenge for me; to push myself to see what fire I had within.

Since the race was in the evening, when it was time for the awards to be handed out all the lights around the track were on.   They are barrel fires and gave out ingredients for Smores.



And as an added bonus, since my husband was in charge, we got to have "Elite" bib status.  He was 1 and I was 2.





No comments:

Post a Comment