Sunday, November 4, 2012

Iowa - State #10

Didn't sleep well which is somewhat "normal" for me the night before a race.  But I got up when the alarm went off with no problem.  Grabbed a quick shower and then had my standard pre-race breakfast: whole wheat toast, peanut butter, a banana and a Starbucks chilled frappuccino.  The nice thing about being able to drive to some of these races is that we can bring our own supplies and the toaster!

It was a chilly walk to the start line.  Glad we bought those gloves at Walgreen's yesterday.  And luckily there was a big building that was open were we could just hang out in and stay warm until closer to the start.


 
Thanks random person for taking our picture!

A kiss for luck and we're on our way we head to our respective corrals.  Being toward the back gives me the opportunity to find a short line for the porta pottie...one more time - better safe than sorry.

IMT Des Moines Marathon and Half
The race started on time and we start out running east toward the Capitol - right in to the sun!  It wasn't too bad though. Two right turns and we are headed west toward the Court House.  The marathon and half split around mile 3.  Then around mile 4-5, we enter Water Works Park.  As I got further in, some of the other (read - faster) runners are coming back.  I found Dane, yelled his name and he saw me!  I kept searching for John (which made this stretch of running go by faster) but never did see him and then it was time for me to start the lap around the lake.  I started feeling like I was running out of steam at the 6 mile marker but tried to just push on.  I was thankful that they still had Gu when I got to that station and took in a Vanilla Bean packet. 

 
Running towards the Capitol
 
 
This was just as we entered Water Works Park.  Had to get a photo!

 
Around Water Works Park Lake (I'm just starting the loop)
 
After leaving the park, you cross a highway and enter Gray's Lake Park for about another 2 mile loop.  And here is where perspective sets in...as I am approaching the footbridge, I hear horns and sirens and people saying, "move to the right."  Here comes the MARATHON leader passing all of us slow poke half marathoners.  What do you do?  You just keep running "your" race.  Then less than 3 minutes later, a golf cart approaches from the other directions taking a participant off the course.  While I could be depressed about who just passed me, I'm sure that poor guys wishes we was still out there.  PERSPECTIVE.
 


 
View of downtown Des Moines from the footbridge
 
After Gray's Lake Park you head back downtown.  I was ready to be done; just a little further to go.
 
 
This sign was on the corner of the last turn before the finish.
 
 
It didn't take long to find my husband at the finish line.  We had the official Finishers Photo taken and then asked someone to take one of us with my phone.  Thanks random person!
 
 
Wish I had removed my glasses :(
 
 
I've never seen so many different food options at a finish area!  If you stayed there long enough you could easily consume on all the calories you burned during the race.  There were your standard options: bananas, oranges, apples, chocolate milk and water.  Then you moved on to BBQ sandwiches, yogurt, ice cream, cookies, granola and pizza .  I didn't even make down to the Qdoba area!!  Plus out on the course people were handing out candy.  I was given Smarties, Sweet Tarts, Gummie Bears and Twizzlers.  I saved the "hard" candies and found the chewy ones difficult to eat while running.  But it was awesome that they were giving them out.
 
We didn't hang around the finishing area very long.  We went back to the hotel to shower and decided to head back to Johnny's to watch the Colts game.
 
Good course and great support (tons of aid stations).  I would completely recommend this race to anyone.






No comments:

Post a Comment