Sunday, December 9, 2012

A "Monumental" Affair

This was the 5th year for the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon and Half.  I did the half the inaugural year and then did the full marathon the following year.  It was my very first full marathon.  But after taking two years off from the race, I thought I'd run it again.  Plus it fit in to the "challenge" I was doing and I read about a discount on the entry fee!

Race morning was chilly but one of the hotels was open near the start line so I was able to make one more bathroom stop and stay in the warmth of the lobby until closer to the start time.


I don't remember everything about this race from 5 years ago but figured the route would be similar.

On a personal note: as luck would have it, I should have started my period 4 days before race day but nooooooo, I started THAT morning.  Not cool Mother Nature!  Initially I didn't feel too bad but cramps would hit me hard later in the race.  (sorry it all of that is TMI for some).

One interesting note, I saw a guy running and he had a sign on his back stating that it was his birthday.  So as I ran up to them, I sang Happy Birthday to him. 

Mile 10 would come to be the undoing of an "up to that point" decent race.  All of a sudden the cramps hit really bad; my lower back and my gut.  It was excruciating.  I was in so much pain that I was running at times with my eyes closed - not good or safe!  I was near tears at times.  And then of course, it started sleeting.  REALLY?  I just put my head down and tried to push through although I started taking walking breaks.  And it certainly felt like the temperature had dropped; it was definitely colder by the time I finished.  I could barely text my husband (who was in San Fran) because I was shaking so much from being cold.



This was half marathon #21 for me and 8th for the year.  That's a drop in the bucket for some but this "older" girl is pretty proud of what I've accomplished so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment