Wednesday, February 26, 2020

2019, 07-14 Christmas in July Half Marathon

Several months ago I made a goal - after registering for the 2020 Indy Mini Half Marathon - to make the 2021 Indy Mini Half Marathon my 200th lifetime half marathon. Long story short, that goal was set aside because we are going to be taking an amazing anniversary trip this May and money needs to be saved for THAT. But in the meantime, I had already signed up for some half marathons that I didn't really ever want to do again just to get "numbers" toward 200.

Thus me doing this half marathon.

The start line changed from last year, it was once again HOT! (but it does take place in July so...) and aside from seeing friends there really isn't much to say about this race. I had no plans at trying to be competitive; it was merely only about finishing another half marathon so my finish time was slooooooow.
Pre-race photos:
Linda and Jen
At one point in an effort to entertain myself while on the course, I thought it might be fun to try to find things along the way to create a "12 Days of Christmas / 12 Days of Christmas in July" list. I knew the last thing would be One Shiny Medal. But I thought of this AFTER I had seen some things that would have worked and to find 12 items and/or 11 items along the course was going to be rather challenging. So yeah, this didn't happen. I did get 3 boy scouts and five golden flowers for my 12 Days of Christmas in July list:
As I crossed the finish line i realized that there wasn't anyone handing out medals. Someone told me that I had to go over to some table and put my name on a list to get one later. Supposedly, the RD "brought the wrong box of medals" and he was at the the table hoping to convince some people to take last year's medals that he had extras of. He got a little irritated when some of us wouldn't agree to do that. Since I did this race last year, I already had last year's medal. A reliable source is pretty sure he was trying to save money and didn't order enough. I did get my medal a few weeks later in the mail.
Post-race with Esther
Someone let me borrow their medal so that it would be in my Finisher's picture.

Pretty sure this will be the last time I do this half marathon. They offer a 5K as well but not sure I'd even do that distance. 




No comments:

Post a Comment