Friday, February 21, 2020

2019, 06-09 SHE POWER Half Marathon

Sadly, I don't remember much about this race now.

Saturday, June 8th: I went to the 50 States Half Marathon dinner the night before at Rock Bottom. One fun fact from the night is that a woman had called into work that Friday before hoping to get a tour of Lucas Oil Stadium. I learned that she was originally from Indiana (Crawfordsville) but currently living in North Carolina. She is an Army veteran, Colts fan and dealing with an elderly mother as well. There was just something about talking to her on the phone that clicked with me and before you know it, I've invited to her to the dinner that night and made arrangements for her to see the stadium afterward.

Sunday, June 9th: there was rain in the forecast so I didn't take my phone with me so I don't have any course photos along the way but it was the same route as last year. The rain was different this year though. Although in 2018 it rained almost the entire race it was mostly a light rain. This year the rain would stop and start multiple times and it came down heavy at times which then made an area behind the zoo even more flooded than the prior year. 
131 Events gets some great photos from the race which are always free to download and I got some from friends as well.
It was an honor to run a bit with Linda. This woman is a powerhouse and I hope that I will have her drive and will when I am her age.
Barely...but its a floatie picture!
Luckily I met a very nice woman in line at the Finisher's banner who was kind enough to take a photo of me with her phone and then text it to me. The photographer that was there left just before it was our turn and although I could have walked to my vehicle to get my phone and come back - it was only 2 blocks away - I was soaked and really just wanted to get home and into a warm shower then dry clothes.

This medal though...
Official race photo
To really get a feel for how big this medal is I placed it next to the saucer that we were served cake on. If you want a ginormous quality medal, you have to do a 131 Event!
Initially we were told that this was going to be the last year for this race. The folks that run 131 Events have moved to Arizona and have decreased the number of races that they now do in Indiana but a few days after the race was over they posted on Facebook that they changed their minds and that they would be back in 2020 for the 5th year of SHE Power.

Obviously, I'll be back for year #5.





No comments:

Post a Comment