Monday, February 24, 2020

2019, 06-29 Indy Ultimate


This was the 4th year for the Indy Ultimate (Urban Obstacle Race - used to also be in the title!) and I've participated every year so far. The initial plan was that I'd be doing it with my friend Kristy and one of her friends. We were going to come up with a theme but that all fell through and we just did it "as is".

The race stared under yellow flag conditions and - although this event is no longer timed / it is about the experiences - they advised people to slow down and to not push it.

I didn't do some of the obstacles because of my shoulder issues and I also wanted to do a good job of documenting this for Kristy and Stacey since it was their first time. 

The race begins at the Circle (the Soldiers & Sailors Monument) and travels north up Meridian Street to the American Legion Plaza. The Indiana National Guard is waiting for you there to put you through some drills! 
Next, we headed down the Glick Peace Walk eventually making our way to the Canal. 
We stopped at the Indiana Historical Society's area to do a selfie with #16, Abe!
There were some changes to the course that I didn't really care for, especially how they redid the Trivia area. It was so much more fun and better when you had to answer questions to get through the maze. This year you just stood in a cluster and answered questions. We waited briefly for our turn but decide to just move on.

We didn't have to wait too long before it was our turn in the paddle boats. We paired up with a guy that was alone and he and Kristy sat in the front and did all the hard work.
Our next photo opportunity was in front of the NCAA Headquarters.
The next stop was inside at NIFS (National Institute for Fitness & Sports) and being in an air conditioned building was a nice break. As I've said before - and always will - I love seeing my friend Boomer. The best in the NBA.
Back out into the heat and time to head over to Victory Field to run the bases.
All About That Base
There's no place like home!
New this year was the Pacers Bike Share area. It was located in the South Lot of Lucas Oil Stadium and you got to take a small lap in part of the lot. I was skeptical at first and almost skipped it but it was fun. It had been awhile since I'd been on a bike.
Then one last stop before entering the Stadium. You could "Kiss the Bricks" at the IMS location. If you don't look closely, you might think this is a real section of bricks - if I hadn't been next to the seam - and obviously I didn't really kiss them!
You run down the ramp and onto the field at Lucas Oil Stadium.  This would be where the team (Indianapolis Colts) would run onto the field as well. It was nice to be in air conditioning again. This stop included events from both the Colts and the USL soccer team, Indy Eleven. This was another stop where I didn't try any of the challenges since I'd done them before.
Kristy found one of her "fans" at LOS!
Out of the stadium and on to Georgia Street where we took a spin on the HandleBar.
We bskipped the St Elmo's shrimp station and went to the next stop which had us walk through one of the new RedLine buses. Odd but it was a brief moment of air conditioning again. Then we went into the Indiana Repertory Theatre. You could grab a prop, get on stage and recite a line. I chose to burst into song!
All the world's a stage!
Outside of the theater was a Rhythm Discovery Center area with a few different instruments. Naturally I wanted to beat on those drums!
Next it was on to the City Market area. I got to see my friend and fellow RUN(317) Ambassador, Teresa at the November Project stop.  I did not participate in the calisthenics they were doing.  
After this we went to the YMCA by City Market and then into the catacombs (which I have zero pictures of?)
Solid advice as the sun was beating down
It was then back to the Circle and the Finish Line. 
I'll definitely do this race again next year (and since I'm posting this 8+ months late, here's my spoiler alert...I'm already registered for 2020) but completing the 5th year might be my last unless I can convince my bother to do it with me one of these days.


















No comments:

Post a Comment