Monday, February 29, 2016

(02-13-2016) Run For Love 5K

Normally I wouldn't sign up to do a 5K unless it was to support a cause that I am passionate about but some friends from work wanted me to do this with them. It would be K.K.'s first 5K so I wanted to be there for her.

For me a "draw back" to this race was that it was going to take place in Fishers, IN. That is NOT close to were I live. Since I drive an hour each way to work every day I try not to go up there on the weekend. Oh, the things we do for friends.

Packet pickup took place at Endurance House. I decided to take a late lunch and sneak away to drive over there and get my stuff. It wasn't as close as I thought it was going to be so it took longer than anticipated. And MapQuest indicated that it was on the opposite side of the road. Luckily, K.K. answered my distress text and I found it.  I was in and out in no time and headed back to work.
Up to this point, Indiana had been having some "warmish" weather but the winds of change had begun to blow the week of this race and it was COLD Saturday morning! Eleven degrees but it "felt like" ZERO! Thankfully the sun was out so that helped and I was properly dressed for these conditions.

The race started at Billericay Park and then meandered through some neighborhoods before finishing back at the park. It was nice that we could wait inside and there were restrooms inside as well.
Because we registered early, we were able to personalize our bibs.  It is true...I do love Bling!
Group photo prior to the start and then one of just us girls that work together.
I took my selfie stick but as you can see in the last photo, I still struggle with that darn thing! And I think because it was so cold, my phone stopped working. It did the same thing to me at the race last weekend when it was cold as well. It basically powers off and I can't get it to power back on until I get in my car and plug it back in to the charger. K.K. had to take the rest of the pictures for me.

We were walking this race and we all stayed together except for D's friend M. He took off not long after the start.

Aside from finishing, a goal of this race was to stop at the TWO MILE MARKER so that we could take our "Deuces!" photo. I don't even really remember how this whole deuces thing started but at (almost) every half marathon I do, I will take a picture of the TWO MILE MARKER sign and text it to them.  Typically they are all still in bed!
K.S., our buddy from work didn't make it and we missed him. But as luck would have it as we stopped for our Deuces photo, a kid rode up on his bike and started talking to us. His name was also.....K. It was like K.S. was with us after all. If it wouldn't have been super creepy we would have taken a picture with that kid.

Post race they had beers but I'm not a beer drinker. I was more interested in the brownies and hot chocolate they were offering. Sadly by the time we finished, they were out of hot chocolate. The brownies were just okay - in my opinion - but the icing that was on them was fantastic! We hung around for a little bit but I needed to head downtown to get my packet for tomorrow's race.
(race photo - which was FREE!)

Now I'm not going to pretend that I wasn't also persuaded to do this race because they were handing out this super cute medal. This girl has her priorities!

No comments:

Post a Comment