Monday, July 28, 2014

Rock ‘n’ Roll 5K – Race Recap

July 19, 2014


Since there were four of us that would need to get ready in the morning and we would need to leave the hotel at 7:30AM, I set my alarm for 5:45AM.  It was not a good night’s sleep to say the least but since today was only the 5K, I wasn’t too worried about it.

I got up first and showered then ate my breakfast.  Everyone was ready to go on time and we headed out of the hotel a little before 7:30AM.  Uneventful walk to the start line and although we were exactly sure where it was, you just follow all the other people wearing a race bib and you can usually find it. Thumbs upWinking smile

For the middle of July the weather was unusually cool.2014, 07-19 (1)

We took some pre-race pictures and did some stretching before actually lining up. 

2014, 07-19 (1)2014, 07-19 (5)

While waiting for the start, we struck up a conversation with the folks in front of us.  They were from Virginia which gave me the opportunity to ask them their opinions on half marathons in that state.  Next it was time to sing along with the National Anthem and we were off.

2014, 07-19 (12)2014, 07-19 (13)

The course seemed like it had a few more twists and turns than what the map shows and there was one section which was fairly narrow but other than that, it was somewhat uneventful.  Only one water stop 1.75 miles into the course according to my watch.

Course Map

Two things of note however – I randomly saw a guy running that I’ve seen several times on others blogs.  Sure enough it was Dave.  He took a running selfie of us but it must not have turned out since it hasn’t been posted.  The second things was that Batman & Robin passed me at about the 2.5 mile marker!  “Hurry Robin!  To the Bat-mobile.”

2014, 07-19 (16)

I crossed the finish line, got a water and banana and then headed back to the finishing area and waited to watch my friends cross.  First was MYMW, then her husband and then WS.  I was also able to get a shot of Dave going his famous jump at the finish line.

2014, 07-19 (18)

Thankfully I ran into him again afterward and was able to get this photo of us.

2014, 07-19 (20)

We took some photos post race and then it was time to go back to the hotel to get ready for dinner…at 2PM!

2014, 07-19 (24)2014, 07-19 (33)2014, 07-19 (36)

My friends were part of the Run JunkEes group on Facebook and they were having a group dinner.  Since tomorrow’s half marathon starts at 6:30AM dinner needed to be early.  And then we had to move it up even more before the restaurant (Three Aces) switched over to its dinner menu.  Thus the 2:00PM seating time.

The restaurant was about 4 miles from the hotel so we took a cab.  We got there early – before anyone else from the group – so my friends ordered some appetizers.  Sadly, there was nothing on the menu that I found interesting.  Eventually others began showing up.  It was nice to meet some new people and hear their running stories.  The chef offered a special pasta tonight which I ordered but didn’t like; should have ordered the margherita pizza.  We were there for about 2 hours and took a group photo before some of us had to leave.

Ru  JunkEes Dinner

The cab ride back to the hotel was an experience.  The cabbie was in a heated discussion with (I’ll assume) someone from his dispatch area and was complaining to them about a fare being taken away or something.  It was so unprofessional.  And traffic was horrific. 

Back at the hotel briefly and then my friend AW met me for dessert.  We went to an Italian restaurant on the other side of the block call Tre Soldi. 

She had dinner but since I had just eaten I ordered the tiramisu.  It was good but not the best I’ve ever had.  I’m very sad that we didn’t get a picture of the two of us but it was great fun just sitting there talking to her.

It would definitely be early to bed for all of us but we did venture to the Mezzanine level of the hotel for a quick peak at the city from a different angle.


Alas it was time to double and triple check everything in our (tiny) staging areas and then lights out.  My alarm was set for the unheard of hour of 3:30AM.

No comments:

Post a Comment