Friday, January 5, 2018

WE'RE GOING STREAKING!


I know I'm not original with this one but when you think of doing a "streak" of some kind, you pretty much yell it just like Will Ferrell did in Old School.  Its not just me, right?


Anyway, I've never done a running streak. I've thought about it a couple of times, especially when Runners Worlds starts theirs but never participated. Well 2018 is all about trying/doing new things. So I'm going to try to run at least 1 mile every day.


Four days into this thing and I'm nailing it! 
You've got to make it to Day 4 before you can make it to Day 365, right?
This is how it has played out so far:


Day 1 (01.01.18) = Resolution Run Indy 5K - you can read about that HERE
Day 2 (01.02.18) = 1 mile on the treadmill
Day 3 (01.03.18) = Late Lunch 5K - see below
Day 4 (01.04.18) = 2 miles on the treadmill


Late Lunch 5K: beginning the week between Christmas and New Year the weather in Indianapolis has not been fantastic. Factoring in the wind chill it has been double digit NEGATIVE numbers almost every day. But it looked like we'd have a break in the action on Wednesday so I packed my running bag and took it to work with me. I ate my food at my desk then at 2:30 started changing into my running clothes. It takes so much longer to get ready in the winter since you have to put on so many layers!


Normally I would walk over to our canal area but decided to drive so I could be warmer once I was done. Thankfully there were plenty of parking spaces available on the road. That is usually not the case any other time of year. And I was happy to see that the sidewalks (if that is what they are referred to) were 98% clean. There was a slick spots here and there - which occasionally my heal would catch and cause me to panic - but otherwise it was clear to run on.
Two other reasons why its best for me to try to knock something like this out during a late lunch:
  1. I am NOT dedicated enough to get out of bed early to run just because I need to run. Unless I'm registered for an event, I'll choose staying in bed and sleeping any day. This could also be a factor as to why I'm a crappy runner.
  2. I wanted to work on taking some of our Christmas stuff down once I got home. But if I went home and ran first I wouldn't have gotten started until 8:00 PM or so on the decorations. Well....guess what I didn't end up working on after all once I got home? Yep, Christmas stuff is still up even as I type this. I got home, took my shower and put on my pajamas. Sure it was only 6:30 PM but no shame here. And then realized that Amazing Race was premiering. I don't watch much TV but that is one show that I enjoy so my husband and I sat down and watched it together.
Yesterday (01.04.18): Thursday here at work we had some firefighters in the stadium doing some rope training. They were belaying from the catwalks. Ummm...I want  to do that! So I touched base with the contact here internally and he said he'd help me out.
Finally around 3:45 PM I got the call that they were ready for me.

As I said, 2018 needs to be about trying/doing new things
This was so much fun!!!

 Couple of shots from a different coworker:

This will definitely go down as one of the highlight while working here.


No comments:

Post a Comment